A firm should submit an establishment registration within 30 days of beginning operations.
The VCRP is intended for cosmetic products after they are in commercial distribution to consumers in the United States. Commercial distribution of a cosmetic product means annual gross sales in excess of $1,000 for that product.
Any firm, whether domestic or foreign, that manufactures, packs, or distributes cosmetics in the United States may submit a separate cosmetic formulation for each product.
It is not recommended to file a cosmetic formulation before the products are available for sale in the United States.
When a product is made by a contract manufacturer and distributed by a different firm, either the contract manufacturer or the distributor can enter the formulation into the VCRP, but not both. The two companies need to decide who will enter the formulation.
Total registered companies and listed formulations since September 20, 2018:
- Number of active accounts: 6,061
- Number of active cosmetic establishment registrations: 3,459
- Number of labelers that have filed product formulations: 1,533
- Number of filed products: 21,761
- Number of product formulations discontinued: 1,969
- Number of product formulations rejected: 2,215