COVID-19 convalescent plasma, also known as “survivor’s plasma,” contains antibodies, or special proteins, generated by the body’s immune system to the novel coronavirus. More than 100,000 people in the United States and many more worldwide have already been treated with it since the pandemic began.
Additional studies of COVID-19 convalescent plasma are ongoing or planned in different populations. Convalescent plasma treatment differs from monoclonal antibody treatment, which is still being used in hospitals and the subject of clinical trials.
Monoclonal antibodies are produced in a lab, at much higher concentrations than antibodies contained in convalescent plasma.
To learn more and find the site nearest you:
- AABBExternal Link Disclaimer
- America’s Blood CentersExternal Link Disclaimer
- American Red CrossExternal Link Disclaimer
- Blood Centers of AmericaExternal Link Disclaimer
- CoVIg-19 Plasma Alliance
- National COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project
- Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association
- The Fight Is In Us
Together, we can save lives.